In the town of Mins, FL just north by about 7 miles. I discovered it is the home of: H.O.R.S.E. Inc. & Feathered Friends
Helpers, Organizing, Rescue, Service, Education
Nonprofit 501 (c) Organization Since 2000
Office 5236 International Ave Mim’s Fl,32754
Visits By Appointment Only
H.O.R.S.E. Inc. has been a Nonprofit 501 (c) Organization Established in 2000 dedicated to providing
shelter,care,rehabilitation,and adoption services for abused, neglected, abandoned and unwanted horses. We
also rescue parrots in need.
I found this site while researching mushrooms and the extent of people being poisoned by bad mushrooms — Horse farms in Florida have many mushrooms growing in manure piles and in the pasture — so see kids, I find connections of all my topics – Horses and mushrooms this time – bet you did not expect that connection. So, I used their site to gather some information – I presented it at the end of this posting.
But first, I was asked, yesterday, where was the cloud angel — You know, I see things that are not there — well, they are there, but only in my mind:
I personally do not eat wild mushrooms – guess I recommend that you, Grandkids, do not eat them either — but they are sure fun to photograph — sort of like playing with a poisonous snake – I do not play with them either — well, I have eaten rattle snake — not the poisonous part — I would rather photograph them – at a proper distance of course!
How many mushroom ingestion’s happen in a year?
Every year across the United States, more than 9,000 cases of mushroom ingestion’s are reported to
the American Association of Poison Control Centers. Children under the age of 6 years account for a
majority of these cases. The consequences of mushroom poisoning can be severe.
Mushroom or Toadstool whats the different?
Because there is so much misinformation about toadstools and mushrooms, the terms need
definition. Some people mistakenly believe the word “mushroom” means an edible or safe variety and
the word “toadstool” means a poisonous or bad mushroom. This is incorrect. Many mushrooms are
poisonous and some toadstools are edible or safe.
How poisonous are mushrooms?
Medically speaking, “poisonous mushroom” means any mushroom or toadstool that causes an
adverse or negative reaction when eaten. Symptoms can range from 6 hours of vomiting to lethal
liver or kidney failure.
How many poisonous mushrooms are there?
In the United States, there are about 5,000 types of mushrooms. Of these, about 100 are
responsible for most of the cases of mushroom poisoning. Less than a dozen species are considered
deadly. However, death from other species, even so-called “safe” mushrooms, has occurred in very
young children or in very ill adults.
What are the facts and fiction about mushroom identification?
FICTION: A mushroom is considered safe if:
- The mushroom grows on wood
- Slugs or other insects eat the mushroom
- Squirrels, rabbits, or other wildlife eat the mushroom
- The mushroom is dried, boiled, salted or pickled in vinegar
- The mushroom does not have a ring or skirt on the stalk
- The mushroom is pure white in color
- Just because someone else says “I have ate those their safe”
- Some people can have allergic reactions to eating “safe” mushrooms.
- Some mushrooms are only poisonous if eaten in large quantities.
- Some mushrooms are poisonous when raw but become harmless when cooked.
- Some mushrooms are poisonous regardless of how they are cooked or prepared.
- Some mushrooms are poisonous only if eaten with alcoholic beverages.
- Some mushrooms are classified as poisonous because they are hallucinogenic.
- Stewed Mushrooms juice is a dangerous hallucinogenic drug, that can cause serious damage
to your health permanently even death.
- Some mushrooms that are edible when fresh and young, poisonous when they are old, hit by
frost or decayed.
- Some mushrooms, for unknown reasons, are poisonous in one part of the country, are not
poisonous in another.
- Some mushrooms that are poisonous to animals do not cause major problems in humans.